The Death Penalty and the Bible: Reflection 4 (quick thoughts)

Today, to kind of spice things up a bit, I wanted to talk about euthanasia/assisted suicide and the death penalty because I think that would be fun.

Let doctors focus on healing patients, not helping them commit ...
I guess this is just gonna be more of a post regarding my feelings about this topic and not necessarily a true content post, but I feel some type of way about these topics. I'm also making generalizations that I know do not apply to every Christian, but in large part, this is trend that I have noticed. In no way am I saying that every Christian feels the same way on these topics.

Okay, euthanasia or physician assisted suicide have been target of Christian disapproval. On the flip side, the death penalty has been supported by Christians due to Biblical claims of it being "God backed" (I discussed this in an earlier post). I've been stuck feeling conflicted about how these two thoughts can be reconciled within the Christian tradition. I struggle to understand why it is forbidden for someone to take their life intentionally, knowingly, and in a safe environment as is done in physician assisted suicide, but it is sanctified for someone to die from someone else's accord through the death penalty? I know the argument that the aggressor has lost their right to life once they have chosen to take life, but nonetheless, who are we to make that choice? To take the power of death and use it for our own purposes? We are still taking away a life regardless if we find "meaning" to it because of their actions.


Comments